Wednesday, November 16, 2016

How to apply for a South Korea Tourist visa for Filipinos



It took me 6 months to mentally prepare for this.

I had to schedule and back out at the last minute because I felt like my documents were still not good enough. I undergone the stages of grief (denial-anger-bargaining-depression-acceptance) lots of times just thinking about the worst case scenario of being rejected.

I also searched online gazillion of times for the right process because everything posted online was not really applicable to my employment status. However, it didn't help me calm down because all those posts I found online about applying for a South Korean visa were about employees and those with businesses WHEN I was actually a person of mixed income. Meaning, I am partly employed and partly self-employed. See how complicated it is?

Well, I DID GET A VISA! Aaaand it is also safe to say that going through the process of getting a Korean visa was the easiest I have gone through so far~! It was actually very hassle free (I think the only hassle I went through was going to the place itself, as it is not accessible via a cheap public vehicle lol) and I think I only spent less than an hour tops for both application and release of the visa.

Looking back, I realized that I actually didn't need to worry because I have complete requirements (I checked it like gazillion times before submitting it to the counter) and South Korea actually has a relaxed visa requirement for tourists.

PRO-TIP:
* When traveling with a family member, make sure to bring supporting documents of your relationship, i.e. birth certificate and marriage certificate. They did not include this in the specific requirements page but when you look at the main requirement page, they actually do require them.

Now, let me guide you with the process! :)

STEP 1: Complete all your requirements.

Since I was a person of mixed income, I looked through the requirements of an EMPLOYEE and then modified it so all my credentials were noted. Here is the list of the basic requirements.

1. Application Form
You can download the form HERE.
Tips in filling up the form:
 ** Use only BLACK ink. 
 ** Fill out everything (put N/A if it is not applicable to you).
 ** Write in ALL CAPS.
 ** For FUNDING DETAILS, write MYSELF if you are going to fund your trip, and put N/A to the other questions.

2. 1 piece of Passport size colored picture
    This embassy has the same rules when it comes to visa pictures. WHITE BACKGROUND. No hair covering the eyebrows, eyes, and ears. No eyeglasses, sunglasses, or any of the sort that produces glare. You can flash your best natural smile. :)

3. Original Passport (should be valid for more than 6months)

4. Photocopy of Passport Bio-page (page 2)

5. Original & Photocopy of valid visa/s and arrival stamps to OECD member countries for the past 5 years (If applicable only)
   For a list of OECD countries, click HERE

6. Original Certificate of Employment (must include applicant's position, date hired, compensation, office address, HR landline number(cell-phone number is not allowed), HR e-mail address)
   Since I work in two separate companies, I asked for a certificate of employment from both of them. Make sure to include every detail that the embassy requires, otherwise it may cause problems for you. Just ask your HR that it will be for visa purposes; they usually know the format already. If they don't, just give them a copy of the things you needed to put there. Since the two companies I worked in had no HR, I had the admin and the clinic manager make my certificate of employment instead. :)
   Please bear in mind that you cannot fabricate companies and numbers in the employment certificate. I am not sure if they do call to do some background check (they didn't call my clinics), but if they do and they find out that you just made the information up, you might face serious problems (like getting banned from entering Korea or something).

7. Original Personal Bank Certificate (must include account type, current balance, account opening date, ADB)
8. Bank Statement (original or certified true copy of bank statements/passbook for the last 3 months)
   These two I got from my bank a day before I applied for the visa. BPI charges 100.00 php for the bank certificate but they give the bank statements free if it is still within the 3 month period. I just went to my bank, filled out a form, and waited for about 20 minutes before I got both of them, I think?
   I don't actually know how much is the preferred amount by the Korean embassy as I have seen lots of baseline amount and ADB in lots of blogs that I have read. My ADB (average daily balance) in my account was 27,000php and the money in my bank at the time was at 57,000php. I also wrote $800 USD as my estimated expenses because I will be staying for 8 days.
   The safest amount would probably be a little higher than the ESTIMATED EXPENSES that you put in the application form. For instance, if you put $800 USD in the estimated expenses in the application form, you should probably have around 45,000 to 50,000 in your account. Just be realistic and don't put there $100 if you're going to stay for one week or something! Also, you cannot just deposit a huge amount a week prior to applying, since the embassy will also base it on your ADB and they might see it as fraud and you might get denied. The key to the bank statement is consistency (for at least 3 months prior!)

9. Photocopy of the ITR(Income Tax Return) of the previous year or Form 2316 Copy

10. Copy of PRC Card or IBP Card (If applicable only)

STEP 2: Submit your requirements to the KOREAN EMBASSY

   Once you have completed all of the requirements, you can just submit it personally to the embassy during their working hours. The address of the embassy is already included at the end of the post. The time when you can submit your application is from 8:30 to 11:00am, whereas the time of release is at 1:30 to 4:00pm.
   Unlike the US embassy, you do not need to make an appointment to apply for a Korean visa. You just go there during their working hours and submit your application.
   It was actually a very smooth process. I arrived there around 10:30 in the morning and I had to fall in line to get a number. After that, I just waited for my number to be called and I submitted my requirements. The consul actually had a very stoic face but I do understand because aren't consuls supposed to be strict? 
   OH AND BEFORE I FORGET. You need to arrange all your requirements according to how they were numbered in this post too, as it will speed up the process of your application.
   As I said, it was a very smooth process and it took no longer than an hour for both application and release. People who have visas in any OECD countries and those who frequented Korea in the last 2 years will be directed to apply in window 3 and will have their visas released in 2-3 business days. For the others, they will be asked to wait for their number in windows 1 and 2, and will have their visas released in 3-5 business days.

That's it! After that, you have to undergo another phases of grief for 3 more days until you get your visa. As with all embassies, if you provided all the necessary requirements, you will do just fine. :)

Hit me with a comment if you found this useful! Also, let me know if you have questions in the comments below! Good luck with your trip! :)

Republic of Korea Embassy in the Philippines

122 Upper McKinley Road, McKinley Town Center,
Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City 1634
Tel: +632 856-9210
Fax: +632 856-9008
Website: embassy_philippines.mofa.go.kr

Office Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30AM-5:30PM
Filing: Mon-Fri, 8:30-11AM
Releasing: Mon-Fri, 1:30-4PM

DISCLAIMER:
All information written here are according to my own experience as of my application (09/15/2016). The embassy might have changed something in the requirements, added something to it, or removed something, of which I have no idea of. As far as I am concern, this was still updated during the time of writing.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! You stated that the companies you worked for did not have HR, but the certificate of employment requires HR phone number and email. What did you do about that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put the number of the admin office and the clinic itself on the certificate. Regarding the email, I put the email used by the executive director and manager instead of the HR department. :)

      Delete
  2. I am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you, The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how i win the lottery Straight away after Dr.Oriafo cast the Lottery spell for me, I felt enveloped by the control of the spell. This spell change my life into riches. I am now out of debts and experiencing the most amazing good luck with lottery after i won a huge amount of money. I have more luck now than I ever had in my life. i won 1.300.000 million pounds. Your Lottery spell made wonders, I can't believe it. Thank you so much sir for dedicating your time to cast the Lottery spell for me.”I am eternally grateful for the lottery spell dr.Oriafo did for me. You can email him for you own lottery number. his via herbalsolutionhome@gmail.com or call +13103599685 your email him herbalsolutionhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

About Us

Labels

Random